Thursday, September 30, 2010

Who Are You and What Have You Done With My Son?

I've heard of the "terrible two's." but what is happening in this apartment is beyond that. I'm sure many parents have the same thought about their 2 year olds. Maybe it's just my low frustration tolerance, but Ari is making me want to scream and literally pull my hair out of my head one strand at a time.


I heard somewhere that nature/biology makes children intentionally cute so you don't kill them. It makes so much sense. Ari behaves like a maniac. He screams because I won't let him watch TV, eat off of the floor, pour juice on the cat's head and other fun activities that benefit him, not me. And just as I'm on the verge of loosing it, he flashes the biggest cutest smile. How's that for an extremely frustrating situation?

Needless to say, I'm loosing my mind. I feel like I'm living with an irrational mental patient. But in reality, he's just a 2 year old. His mood swings are so pronounced and erratic. I thought I was a moody person, well clearly he's trumped me in this department.

By the end of the day, I can't wait until he goes to sleep so I can have a break from the screaming and the crying. I feel so guilty. I want to enjoy spending time with him, but it's hard when he's screaming half the time and crying the other half.

Oh the joys of motherhood? When does this phase end? At three? Help!

16 comments:

  1. Sorry I can't help. But I thought the same thing "he used to be so good". Its sad even knowing that the testing is a totally normal developmental stage.

    Most of the 3 1/2 year olds at work were pretty much grown out of it. At 3 they are still dealing with a lot of twos issues.
    This is a massive generalization of course.

    However older threes without consistent discipline get stuck in it because they have learned that if they act up they will get out of doing things for themselves (or whatever the situation is).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know that there is an expiration date on this troublesome behavior. Oh discipline, because I'm so good at it! :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why - pure luck maybe? - but I have never had to deal with a terrible 2's kid. For some reason all the 2 year olds I watched or had at daycare were angels, seriously. It was the 4 year olds that made me want to kill myself. I have no idea if the terribleness ever goes away, perhaps it just morphs into some other kind of terrible/annoying behavior. One thing's for sure, Ari is way too cute to stay mad at! That has to be super frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, Grace has been doing this since she was 1. The only difference is that she thought that slamming her head against the floor, wall, my head were her best options for protest. It sucks! I feel for you. She is just about 3 and a half now and I am beginning to see the end of it. You know what you have to do, the advice you gave me worked wonders.
    Don't you sometimes feel that those cute little smiles have a hidden meaning? It's like they are saying "yeah that's right, I run this show!" and they do...to a point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MentalMom- He is totally doing it on purpose. Thank you, Kris. You are reminding me to stay consistent. He is just driving me crazy right now. He was in time out three times yesterday. GRRRRR. He thinks he runs the show for sure!

    Amanda- Four is a hard age too. I see a lot of kids in Pre-K with behavioral issues and it sucks. He is too cute to stay mad at.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just thought I would share that I have twin 2 year olds... just imagine two of him :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just put my daughter to bed and my first thought was, "thank goodness....now I can Finally relax." I always feel guilty for thinking that but it's true....we DO need our alone time or we can't be good mommies.
    I found you at Mama Kat's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Angie- It is SO true. We do need alone/down time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. O was just writing about that exact thing even though Theo is ONLY 14 MONTHS he's there writhing and screaming with the best of them. Gah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Harriet- It's just not fair. They start so young! Why must they rebel at 14 months. I mean, it's impressive and all but come on! Give us a break!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our son will be 2 in Nov. and he is like that too. It takes a brave soul to dare get in his way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. haha, that second picture of you pretty sums up the whole post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Otter- I totally understand!

    Artemis - ha ha! Indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're singing my song sister!! I could not STAND this age. Its getting better. I think Z is so sensitive that when I yell its just worse. We're working on an understanding. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so damn hard. They are rebellious and do what they want, yet they need discipline. I'm glad Z is getting better. GRRRR this age.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Feel free to agree or disagree, but hateful comments will be deleted.