Sunday, November 22, 2009

"Pat The Bunny" : A Classic Book Lives On

"Pat the Bunny" has been in print for over 60 years. See info here. I have vivid memories of my mom reading it to me when I was a child. The "Pat the Bunny" tradition has continued as my brother and sister in-law gave me a copy for my 30th birthday present. The card attached read something like "For you to share with Ari."



What's funny is that my friend Josina and I were recently discussing this classic book. When her son, Nelson, was born she was bombarded with multiple copies of "Goodnight Moon." But no one bothered to throw in a "Pat the Bunny." I commiserated with her lack of "Pat the Bunny-dom." Until my brother and sister in-law filled the void.

Before receiving my own copy of "Pat the Bunny," I tried to request it at the library; but received a curious response. The children's librarian informed me that because "Pat the Bunny" is a touch and feel book with multiple textures, it is a liability. Apparently children could injure the book and it could potentially injure them if they were allergic to the particular textures in it. I found this all very bizarre.

Thankfully, I have my very own copy now. And my son loves it. See for yourself:




Here is a link to purchase the original Pat The Bunny book on Amazon.com:

3 comments:

  1. Okay, am I remembering the wrong book? I don't remember other animals, I remember "stroke daddy's scratchy beard" and there is sandpaper, and try on mommy's ring and there is a hole in the book and something where you lift a curtain, and of course, the bunny. Is that the same book? I dunno if I still have mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No no! You are remembering the right one! This is a board book version from Golden Books. I, too, remember "dad's scratchy beard" etc. Also I think there may have been a shiny ring. The original was a softer paper-like book with multiple textures besides fur. This one has fur only.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Pat The Bunny, remembrances of things past, present again. That is what happens when you are a grandparent. I really enjoyed the video, Ari's joy in hearing the book read, and you reading it.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Feel free to agree or disagree, but hateful comments will be deleted.