Friday, October 30, 2009

Battle Wounds

I have a small but noticeable bump on my forehead. When I bend down I can feel the pulsing sensation of pain shoot to that localized spot at the right hand corner of my head. Where did I acquire this bump, you might ask? From my now 18 month old son when he accidentally kicked me in the face and laughed his head off afterwards.

These days I am a walking bunching bag for my toddler. He inadvertently injures me and laughs afterwards. Sometimes I audibly whimper after his kicks, scratches or bruises me to let him know: "That hurt mommy, ouch!" And then he has a look of quiet concern on his face. But I don't want him to feel that badly, so I quickly go back to playing with him to distract him from what just happened.

Needless to say, this needs to stop. But I am having a difficult time figuring out how to curb these random injuries and how to react after being accidentally injured.





2 comments:

  1. I have to retype this. :\

    Anywho I was saying that what you are doing seems to be a great method. I think that kids that age start doing things like that to assert their independace and authority. If you don't reprimand him at all he might do it more or harder to get a response. But if you are too dramatic about it, he might cry or feel really badly. I think you'll be fine! :) Just let him know it hurts you and it isn't nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! Thanks Cordy! I think you're right. It is important to tell him that it hurts and I don't like it and that it is not nice.

    But I do worry about traumatizing him! Like maybe I'll scare him into thinking that he's done something horribly wrong?

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Feel free to agree or disagree, but hateful comments will be deleted.