Thursday, April 16, 2009

Old School New School

You may be wondering why this blog is called Old School/New School Mom. Well, wonder no more!

In raising my son, I believe that it is important to take parenting ideas and advice from the previous generation (AKA the Old School) and also integrate parenting advice from our peers (AKA the New School).

You will be a better parent, I believe, if you are able to integrate these two worlds together.

For example, in previous generations, they didn't rely so heavily on fancy electronic baby toys to entertain our kids. They simply read to their children, let them crawl around on the floor; explore and learn by doing. I like this idea. Old School.

However, I have to admit, that there are some fancy electronic flashy baby toys that are pretty neat. So I am not ruling them out all together. For example, there is a Baby Einstein toy that lights up, plays random classical music, and has interesting objects to touch that my son adores.









See? He loves it. But if you'll notice, he is also holding a plastic bottle in his right hand that he also adores. So, he loves a lot of things, Old School and New School.

The point is, you can draw from different schools of thought to raise your child. I think this integration makes for a more well rounded child.

4 comments:

  1. Word up. And it makes us less lazy. Although sometimes I would like the screaming to stop. lol. You know what I never understood?? When people lived 11 kids in one room (with the parents), how the heck did they find time to make more?! I can't barely breathe without my kids waking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think the screaming ever stops, until they turn 18. And then its a different kind of screaming. Yeah, I hear you, the privacy issue is a big one. I feel like there is no such thing as privacy when you have kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like how cats enjoy both lazer pointers AND paper bags.

    Because babies are like cats.

    Yes.

    Also, Are you able to link to this key post in your about me? or in a "best of" area?
    I mean, I know you are able... do you know how?
    You should.

    I am an expert.
    I know about IRAs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cats are exactly like babies. *joke*.

    Hmmm...yes. I will put a link to this in my "About me." Excellent point, Mintorama!

    You are an expert! How much do I have in my 401K?

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Feel free to agree or disagree, but hateful comments will be deleted.