Sunday, December 9, 2012

It's a Wonderful Life at SOPAC!

Over the weekend, I took my dad to see one of his favorites,  It's a Wonderful Life  at SOPAC (South Orange Performing Arts Center) I was able to attend this wonderful performance thanks to the lovely ladies at MamaDrama*

My dad and I hopped on New Jersey transit, and were surprised at how quickly (40 minutes later) we arrived in South Orange!



This was a radio play, which meant that all the actors spoke into old fashioned microphones and there were sound effects used to mimic actions, such as doors opening and closing, footsteps, and money counting, to name a few.


I grew up watching It's a Wonderful Life as a child, because it was one of my father's favorite films.

The message of the story came through in this radio play performance, just as it does in the film.
It's a Wonderful Life shows us that no matter what's happening in your life, you're here for a reason.
Without your presence on this earth, others are effected.

Your life is meaningful, even if there's tragedy, even if there's loss, you are here. Enjoy the gifts that have been given to you.

Each time I watch this story unfold of George wishing he'd never been born, and then seeing meaning in his life, I'm touched over and over again.

Here's Jeff Fader to tell you more:



SOPAC did a lovely job at portraying the characters in the story. What I particularly loved was how the actors were assigned multiple roles. For example the same actress that played Violet also played little Zuzu.

If you've never seen this film, stop what you're doing, find a copy of it, and watch it.

It's a Wonderful Life will show you that you have everything you need right in front of you.

Also, check out SOPAC! They have some wonderful performances for adults and kids!

*Thank you to the wonderful Erin at MamaDrama for providing us tickets to see one of my father's favorites!

3 comments:

  1. I know how this story is so much a part of our family (I am the mom). The play and the blog reminds us of how important we are and how all impact our world...how we need to keep it in mind. Thanks Sarah, Jeff, and South Orange Performing Arts Center for reminding us. ( I hope I get to go to the next show.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will definitely go to the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go to a lot of plays! I'm jealous! The last time I went was to see Les Miserables before I got married, so like 7 years ago.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Feel free to agree or disagree, but hateful comments will be deleted.