Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A Shoeless Day At The Library

I was at the library today with Ari. I'm not quite sure how we managed to get there. It was treacherous outside with sheets of icy rain and streets that were covered with sleet and snow. Despite the weather, we boarded the train and took it to the library. We arrived at the library and read some books. Ari refused to remove his coat or hat, but happily took off his boots. He stood there in wet socks smiling at me.

"Ari, you have to put your boots on," I said already feeling exhausted.
"NO!" He retorted glaring at me.

Since he was unwilling to put his boots back on by himself, I mentally prepared myself to take matters into my own hands. I grabbed him, while he kicked and screamed, and I attempted to shove his boots onto his feet. But my exhaustion level was so high, that he was easily able to slip out of my grasp. While he was wailing, a mother with her young daughter was sitting next to me on the library floor, staring judgmentally. Meanwhile, I was just trying to clothe my child.

There were a few nannies sitting across from me watching as well. I made eye contact with one and said:
"I just gave birth a week ago, otherwise I would have more energy to deal with this."
"I totally understand." She said.

After another minute of unsuccessful attempts to restrain my child down and "re-shoe" him, another nanny came over to me, knelt down and said:
"Do you need help?"
"YES!" I said "Thank you!"
I restrained him with all the force I had left in me, and this amazing woman came to my rescue.
"You're very strong," She said to Ari "But I'm stronger than you!" And with that she proceeded to swiftly shove his boots onto his feet while he screamed "They're wet!"
"Honey, I know they're wet, but I got news for you, you can't go outside with no shoes on! It's cold!"

I thanked her profusely, we left the library, and he fell asleep on my shoulder on the way home. Thankfully, he had his boots on.

4 comments:

  1. Omg I hear you. Today we stopped at a new pediatrician just to drop off papers and the kids got cozy in the playhouse (and both pooped!). It took AGES to get their shoes on and get out the door. It was such a pain!!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know YOU know how it is! Why do they want to remove their shoes CONSTANTLY?!

    I can't believe they both pooped!! How annoying!

    It's the worst when they take their shoes off in the car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least the one lady helped you...and good job for accepting her help. I'm always weird about people offering to help me with T, I take offense to it for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That nanny sounds like a keeper - how much does she charge? :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Feel free to agree or disagree, but hateful comments will be deleted.